UIC and IRITS Events are proud to announce the shortlists for the UIC International Sustainable Railway Awards (ISRA) 2022.
ISRA recognises railway projects and initiatives driving social (‘People’), environmental (‘Planet’) and economic (‘Prosperity’) sustainability. The awards are part of UIC’s vision for the future of rail, celebrating and sharing worldwide best practice and promoting growth in the sector.
Long-distance, regional and urban passenger and freight rail operators, infrastructure owners and managers and national and local governments were among those eligible to enter work completed or implemented between 1 January 2020 and 31 October 2021 inclusive.
An expert jury of leading figures from the railways and other sectors, headed by co-presidents Christian Kern, Former Federal Chancellor of Austria, and Lucie Anderton, UIC’s Head of Sustainable Development, reviewed and evaluated entries from around the globe and met online to compile the shortlists.
The final winners will be announced at a gala ceremony hosted by UIC on the evening of 1 June 2022 in Berlin. The awards will be held in parallel with the 11th International Railway Summit and build on the summit’s reputation for bringing together international railway leaders and sharing world-class innovative ideas.
UIC International Sustainable Railway Awards 2022 shortlists
Best Diversity & Inclusion Initiative
- Rough sleeping on rail outreach pilot, Network Rail
- More gender for all, Spanish Railway Infrastructure Administrator (Adif)
- SBB inclusive, Swiss Federal Railways (SBB)
Best Contribution to COVID Emergency
- Medical TGV trains: transport for patients suffering from COVID-19, French National Railways (SNCF)
- Disinfectant, coronavirus testing and vaccination centre for DB AG, DB Engineering & Consulting GmbH
- HEPA filter installation, Italo SpA
Best Skills Development & Training Programme
Best Use of Zero-Carbon Technology
- The Line 16 project, São Paulo Metro
- Zero-carbon challenge 2050, East Japan Railway Company (JR East)
- Solar energy directly feeding 25 AC traction system, Indian Railways
Best Green Corridor
- Delivering innovative biodiversity measurement for the benefit of people, wildlife and the planet, Network Rail
- High Speed One - the Green Gateway to Europe, High Speed One (HS1) Ltd.
- High Speed Two - green corridor, High Speed Two (HS2) Ltd.
Best Circular Economy Project
- 99% circular train modernisation and on track for 100% circular trains in Europe, Dutch Railways (NS)
- Circular Economy Centre of Competence, Swiss Federal Railways (SBB)
- SBB Circular Economy Lab, Swiss Federal Railways (SBB)
Best Multimodal Partnership
- StationLAND, RFI – Italian Rail Stations Network
- E way urban green mobility, Garda Uno SpA
- “Lesscars”: national platform for shared mobility, Ministry of Ecological Transition, Government of Italy
Rebuilding Confidence in Railways
- Moscow Metro, Department of Transport and Road Infrastructure Development of Moscow
- Strong Cargo driving modal shift to rail for sustainable logistics in Europe, DB Cargo AG
- King’s Cross seating, Network Rail
Best Climate Change Adaptation & Resilience
- Indian Railways Mission Electrification, Indian Railways
- Planet Voyages, French National Railways (SNCF)
- Energy Management Committee: Development and Implementation of Control Systems, Signalling and Trains, São Paulo Metro
The shortlist for the ‘Outstanding Contribution to Sustainable Rail’ award, granted to an individual who has made an inspirational impact on the sector, will be announced in March.
To find out more about the awards, please visit https://sustainablerailway.awardstage.com. More details on the shortlisted projects and initiatives will be available soon.